I started to get the scary notion that I have a basic understanding of Apache configuration when I figured out why my textpattern url’s didn’t work.
The way that these url’s work without there being underlying files is by using mod_rewrite. If you’ve dropped your site into the standard
/var/www directory and wondered why it doesn’t work despite the .htaccess looking correct and the module being loaded take a look at the overall site configuration. By default
/var/www has an AllowOveride None statement on all my installations so far.
To fix it either create a new config for the directory that the textpattern is running in or change that to allow the override.