At this months Python West Midlands User Group meeting we looked at how we could put up a gallery for conference photographs. One team looked at django and another looked at other solutions. Since I have already played with django I opted to look at that.
The gallery we looked at was stockphoto by Jason McBrayer – http://carcosa.net/jason/software/django/stockphoto/
Installing it isn’t too bad once you’ve remembered how your django is setup😉 Luckily Alex was also trying to install the django stuff so he was able to help with bits I didn’t know or forgot. Then it needs styling and modifying.
- Have Django installed already!
- Install the stockphoto using the setup.py
- Install markdown if you don’t already have it. It’s available at http://www.freewisdom.org/projects/python-markdown/. The setup.py isn’t executable because it won’t run from the command line. You need to run it with python, like python setup.py install.
- Patch Django using ticket 2070 as the stockphoto readme recommends
- Create your site using django-admin.py startproject
- Create a template/stockphoto directory.
- Edit your settings.py file,
- ADMIN_URL should be set if your url root isn’t /
- MEDIA_ROOT needs to point to where the photos will go. This should be writeable.
- MEDIA_URL url for the photos directory
- TEMPLATE_DIRS – add the template/stockphoto directory
- INSTALLED_APPS – add django.contrib.admin, django.contrib.markup and stockphoto
- STOCKPHOTO_URL – should be set if your url root isn’t /
- Setup the auth pages for login etc. If your paths aren’t based in / you may have to hack the stockphoto templates. I have in a reasonably sensible way I think. Once I have all of the work completed I’ll post a patch.
I’ve now got the basic application up and running so I have a decent idea of what it does and doesn’t do. I think the things we would have to look at improving are,
- Add a delete photo feature. Ideally allowing bulk deletion as well for administrators
- Make sure the adding/editing photos interface is consistent. I haven’t set everything up yet so I’m not sure exactly what needs doing but I’m guessing that that will need some work.
- Create a style that looks good. There are no stylesheets attached to mine right now so it looks rough!
- The import facility appears to be broken. I probably also need to add the settings path for the large downloads.
Are there any other features that would be needed specifically?