I started getting these error messages last week and I discovered it was actually caused by an incompatibility between the new version 2014.01 and an old server 0.17. In general if you’re finding strange errors, particularly with configuration that used to work, double check your version numbers match. You can always do a ‘
salt machine test.version’ to check the clients version.
salt machine state.highstate machine: ---------- State: - no Name: states Function: None Result: False Comment: No Top file or external nodes data matches found Changes:
[ERROR ] Got a bad pillar from master, type bool, expecting dict: False